Well, to be honest, it depends.
High end wedding video / cinematography package ( $2000 and above ) OR mid end package ( $1400 – $1800 ) OR the low end package ( $550 – $1200 ). There are so many choices and options. Which is the right one for me ?
If you are looking to invest in a wedding video service, you are encouraged to read this blog. If you don't intend to invest in one, seriously, you can save your time by not reading this. Save the money for your 2nd honeymoon.
1. DO I NEED A WEDDING VIDEO ?
– Very important question to ask yourself. Generally, most of us are just content with wedding photography only. That’s fine and normal, actually. You need to be honest with yourself, Do You Need A Wedding Video ? If you ask me, JUST GET IT. You can even ask your uncle or friend to capture your wedding. Pass them coffee money.
– With the increased ownership of smart-phones, you can share your wedding video with your friends anytime or when you meet them for lepak session. Let’s say 2-3 years down the road, you can show it to your child. It is very heartwarming to see your child saying “Ayah, Mummy.”
– Example like this video…
2. BUDGET / PRICING
– If you deem that you need a wedding video coverage, you should start setting and allocating your budget for this item. Wedding videography is as important as any services that you required like Mak Andam, Catering, Decor, Photography, etc. Don’t leave it to the last minute because you will be stressing out then, where to find extra budget OR the one you preferred is already booked.
– Every wedding video service provider has their own processes, technique and workflow. Whether it is the High End package, Mid End package or Low End package, each of them are catering and servicing a certain portion of the local Malay wedding industry. In terms of quality and services rendered, they do differ. You need to ask and make comparisons.
– Another thing you do need to consider, the videomakers’ time and expertise. Every video maker, full time or freelance, before they can offer video services, they must learn and make it work. The results can be seen in their works.
– Whatever choice you make, even you are willing to pay your Uncle duit kopi for video taping, just do it. You will just get to experience it all over it. Cried over it. Laughed at it. Making funny faces while watching it.
3. POST PRODUCTION
– This is a process that you never get to see. This process sometimes is really nerve-wrecking and headache.
– First, we need to sort out the video clips into our own way of organizing. We need to remove those bad video clips in terms of quality. Sieving through 90GB of data is no joke. 1GB = 10 minutes as an estimate. You can do your own calculations.
– Followed by editing process based on a story board that we have created for the clients. It varies from one company to another.
– You also have color grading process, audio editing process, DVD production, DVD label designing, etc.
– Typically, each wedding video post production can takes up to an average of 55 hours. Of course, if you divide by 24 hours, your wedding video will be ready in 3 days. But that’s not the case. Factor in breaks, eat, sleep, family time, other wedding video projects, down time, that’s why generally, there is a 4-8 weeks delivery period. If PEAK SEASON, the delivery period can be up to 3 months.
4. TIPS IN FINDING A GOOD WEDDING VIDEO SERVICE
– Do Your Homework. You’ll get much more out of a meeting or conversation with a wedding service provider if you do a little background homework. This way when you meet with them, you’ll be able to ask better questions and have an idea of what to look out for.
– Meet With Them. An in person meeting is the best way to interview a potential wedding service provider. It lets you get the full experience of their personality, style and professionalism.
– Ask Questions. There are no stupid questions! Make sure you get clear, specific answers to your questions. The good wedding service providers are patient, understanding and take the time to help you make the best choices for your wedding.
– Listen. Are they confident and comfortable with their response? Do they look and sound nervous? Do you get a “funny feeling” about them? Take all the sights, sounds and feelings into account along with their responses; if your gut tells you something isn’t right, it probably isn’t.
– Find someone that you can trust and be comfortable.
– My only advise for you is be willing to share your emotions on your big day. Even a tiniest drop of tear or a smallest pinch of smile. It will go very far.
SO, SHOULD YOU INVEST IN A WEDDING VIDEO ?
If you already have intention about not engaging a wedding video service, you don't need to invest in one.
If you have a tight budget, honestly, you don't need to.
If you have a tight budget but you just want video coverage, you can explore those one man show videography or lower tier as I mentioned earlier.
If you have a modest budget but you want something beautiful, you can start fill up the contact form below.
If you have a budget and you don't mind investing in a little bit more and you want something beautiful, you still can fill up the form below or you can check out the list I created right below.
Here is the list of wedding video/cinematography companies that I have worked for in the past. So far, I have not heard a major complaint about them. Even there is a slightest complaint, they are swift in rectifying and positively managing them. Generally, they do have an influence on how I manage ORANGEFILL. They have been great advisers and mentors during my learning stage.
– Here is another list where I am a fan of their works.
If you are still on fence, have coffee with me. Find out if you should invest in a wedding video service. You are not obliged to engage Orangefill wedding video services. I am here to help you to make informed decision and make your wedding planning more pleasant.
Did I mentioned, this year alone, 3 couples decided not to invest in wedding video services due to my advice ? Surprisingly, they even thanked me for helping them to make decision.